International Arbitration, Dispute Resolution, Maritime, Aviation, Insurance, International Trade
Senior Foreign Attorney / Partner, Yoon & Yang (2018-present); Of Counsel, Holman Fenwick Willan LLP (2016-2018); Senior Associate, Holman Fenwick Willan LLP (2014-2016); Adjunct Professor, Hankuk University of Foreign Studies (2011); Foreign Attorney, Lee & Ko (2006-2014); Extern, California Department of Justice, Office of the Attorney General (2005); Law Clerk, Legal Aid Foundation, Los Angeles (2004)
Chambers Global Practice Guide 2019: International Arbitration Trends and Developments (Co-Author, Seoul, Korea: November 2018); Holman Fenwick Willan LLP Commodities Bulletin: "On Demand Guarantee or Not: When is a Guarantee an Autonomous or On-Demand Guarantee as Opposed to an Orthodox See-to-it Guarantee" (Co-Author, London, UK; June 2016)
• Advised on a USD20 million Combined General Liability Reinsurance Policy in lieu of various product liability claims filed in the US against the Insured.
• Advised a Singapore based owners against a Saudi Arabian charterer regarding a Time Charter dispute on an amended Supplytime 2005 form and the Settlement Agreement supplementing the Charter. Recovered the full amount of guaranteed sum corresponding to the charter claim under an on-demand bank guarantee to the satisfaction of the client (the "Settlement Agreement").
• Advised a Korean shipyard regarding the assessment of a constructive total loss of a tuna purse seiner vessel and the respective scope of liabilities under the Marine Insurance Act. The disputed loss of approx. USD23 million resulted in an amicable settlement prior to the commencement of SIAC arbitration proceedings in Singapore.
• Advised a major Malaysian bank company against an European financial institution on LC discrepancy issues under UCP 600 and the bank-to-bank reimbursement obligations.
• Assisted multinational corporations on a wide variety of labor, insurance and contract issues in Korea.
• Drafted a series of contracts and MOUs on behalf of US corporations launching businesses in Korea.
• Assisted in provision of legal opinion on maritime, aviation and trading disputes.
• Represented an Indian shipyard against a Qatar buyer in a shipbuilding dispute involving five(5) platform supply vessels in lieu of USD115 million.
• Represented the Republic of Korea (ROK) in an ISDS arbitration arising from a claim under the US-ROK FTA regarding the ROK government’s land expropriation process.
• Represented trading companies in arbitration proceedings in DIS, SIAC and ICC for damages in respect of the breach of various sale and purchase contracts for iron ore fines, wood pellets and coal, respectively.
• Represented a public city enterprise in an ICC arbitration against a cross border consortium dispute under JVA.
• Assisted airlines and their reinsurers in settlement negotiations and/or litigations involving cargo and passenger injury claims based on the Warsaw and/or MC99 Convention.
• Represented a leading regional insurer in its subrogation claim for damaged project cargo against a member of an UK-based P&I Club. Obtained an extension of time bar and settlement in favor of the client.
• Represented a Korean bank against a major Greek shipping company in a year-long trial before the Court of First Instance in Piraeus, Greece. Obtained a complete defense award on all claims including breach of contract and fraudulent misrepresentation for USD 35 Million. Also obtained an award of attorney’s fees and costs for the client.
• Represented a leading Korean insurer in an LCIA arbitration against a major UK reinsurer in London, England. Case resulted in a confidential and satisfactory settlement few days before the arbitration tribunal hearing.
Chambers & Partners Asia-Pacific
Loyola Law School, Los Angeles
2003 - 2006
Stanford University, Stanford
Master of Arts in International Policy Studies
2000 - 2001
University of California, Los Angeles
Bachelor of Arts in Communications
1994 - 1998