Richard is a specialist gambling, licensing and regulatory lawyer with key expertise in remote and land-based gambling. He works with a range of gambling clients from start-ups to multinational gambling operators, including casinos, betting shops, online gambling platforms and software developers. Richard advises on operating licences, the risks of operating in international markets, defending licence reviews, AML and social responsibility and the approval of print and web marketing campaigns.
Another specialisation of Richard’s is liquor licensing, where he acts for pubs, nightclubs, bars, supermarkets and hotel chains nationally (including Scotland). He regularly appears before Licensing Committees and Magistrates’ Courts, and advises on real estate contracts for leisure operators, which are conditional on the grant of licensing and planning.
Richard’s regulatory work involves acting for leisure and retail clients defending health and safety, food safety and product safety prosecutions. He also advises on street trading, taxi and firearms licensing.
Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2019, Richard worked at the following firms:
Holder of the International Compliance Association “Specialist Certificate in Money Laundering Risk in Betting and Gaming”
- Acted for a multinational land-based and remote gambling operator in relation to an operating licence review brought by the Gambling Commission which involved betting integrity and self-exclusion failures.
- Advised a listed remote gambling operator on the change of corporate control applications required as a result of its acquisition by a UK PLC.
- Advised a remote casino operator on compliance assessment and licence review relating to anti-money laundering and social responsibility failings.
- Acted for a lottery betting operator on the judicial review of Government legislation making it unlawful to offer bets on the outcome of Euromillions draws.
- Advice to operators of prize competitions, free draws, product promotions and social gaming products, including drafting promotional terms and conditions.
- Written advice to remote casino and betting operators on the civil, criminal and financial risks of operating in grey and black markets.
- Advice on international licensing post-Brexit, including obtaining licences and recognition notices within the EU.
- Retained by a number of gambling operators to advise on TV, radio and print marketing material to ensure compliance with BCAP/CAP Codes, LCCP, industry codes and general consumer law.
- Advised a number of football clubs about stadia licensing, including provision for outdoor music events.
- Advised on the licensing of the National Speedway Stadium in Manchester.
Licensed over 300 sites in England, Wales and Scotland for off-sales for a national retailer.
- Advised on the licensing of large outdoor Festival No. 6 in Portmeirion, Wales, despite significant residential opposition.
- Retained by a regional police force to provide advice and advocacy relating to Premises Licence reviews due to crime and disorder concerns.
- Instructed by a regional police force to apply for an Early Morning Restriction Order (EMRO) in Blackpool.