Paul is a top-ranked UK employment lawyer with wide-ranging expertise across all areas of employment law including executive dismissal, discrimination, whistleblowing, contract disputes and sport.
Paul’s impressive case portfolio includes complex, high-value and international matters which see him acting for partners, fund managers, city executives and sports stars.
Previous sport clients have included Roy Hodgson, Mark Hughes, David Moyes, Andre Villas-Boas, Nicky Barmby, Avram Grant, Steve McLaren and Alex McLeish. Other sport cases have involved top Premiership and England International footballers, and leading cricketers and rugby stars.
Paul also sits as a part-time employment judge following his appointment in 2005.
Paul’s sport clients have included Roy Hodgson, Mark Hughes, David Moyes, Andre Villas Boas, Nicky Barmby, Paul Lambert, Avram Grant, Steve McLaren, Nigel Adkins and Alex McLeish, as well as other confidential cases involving Premiership footballers, top Executives involved in the Olympics, and top cricketers and rugby players.
Paul has also been involved in numerous cross border and International cases and is a founder member and Joint chair of LINEE, the Lawyers’ International Network for Executives.
Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2018, Paul worked at the following firms:
- Slater and Gordon
Founder member and Joint chair of LINEE, the Lawyers’ International Network for Executives
- Represented Roy Hodgson on his departure from Liverpool FC and subsequently on his England contract negotiation
- Advised a senior City fund manager on a multimillion pound whistleblowing, discrimination and unfair dismissal case in the High Court/employment tribunal
- Represented a senior partner in a complex disability discrimination case against a Magic Circle law firm
- Advised a female director in the City on maternity and sex discrimination issues, leading to a very substantial termination package and a settlement agreement
- Represented a leading City executive on a multimillion pound whistleblowing case in the High Court/employment tribunal
- Advised Oisin Tymon, a BBC producer allegedly punched and assaulted by Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear presenter
- Represented six different Premiership football managers in high-profile employment disputes
- Advised a leading current England International footballer on his contract arrangements
- Advised a city executive on a complex and high-value “team move” case in the High Court
- Acted for Sam Rush, Derby County FC, former Managing Director, in bringing proceedings for breach of contract in the High Court for compensation of £6mn, for unfair dismissal in the Employment Tribunal and defending counterclaims for over £7mn based on alleged breach of fiduciary duty and misconduct.
- Acted for a senior female Hedge Fund executive in an employment tribunal proceedings for sexual harassment and sexual discrimination against a major Hedge Fund.
- Acted for a senior Manager in a top 6 Premier League football club.
- Acted for a senior whistleblower in a high profile whistleblowing matter about FCA regulatory breaches involving one of the largest UK financial institutions.