Martin is a consultant in the Construction team with particular expertise in the interpretation and drafting of construction and related contracts for clients in both public and private sectors. He has authored more industry standard forms of contract than any lawyer currently practising.
Martin also advises on procurement strategy and the legal, commercial, and practical issues relating to the delivery of successful projects. He has advised numerous public and private sector organisations including universities, local authorities, central government departments, NHS Trusts, housing associations, and many construction contractors including Costain, Kajima, Hochtief, Bovis Lend Lease, and Wates. In addition Martin regularly advises on the procurement and documentation of highways maintenance arrangements.
Prior to joining Keystone Law in 2014, Martin worked at the following firms:
- Excello Law
- Bevan Brittan
- Veale Wasbrough
Fellow of the Faculty of the Built Environment
Member of the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation
CEDR Accredited Mediator
- Advising on the drafting of the building contract, and related construction documentation, for the University of the West of England
- Provides all legal construction advice to the University of Southampton in relation to the University’s major construction matters and provided a standard set of construction documents to the University’s facilities team for use in relation to what the University describes as ‘minor projects’, including the maintenance and refurbishment of existing buildings
- Provides non-contentious advice to leading construction and solutions provider and top tier client Geoffrey Osborne
- Since 2008, after completing his first highways maintenance contract for Northamptonshire County Council, he has advised on 8 more highways maintenance arrangements, for Plymouth, Southampton, Buckinghamshire, Warwickshire, Hertfordshire, Cheshire East, Gloucestershire, and Herefordshire, with experience spanning billions of pounds worth of highways maintenance spend.
- Recently provided the legal input into the drafting of the DfT’sHighways Maintenance Efficiency Programme, the standard form of theHighways Maintenance Contract which is the first local authoritystandard-form contract in this sector
- Drafted the “Be” Collaborative Contract and the “JCT – Constructing Excellence Contract”
- Drafted the MOD’s first integrated suite of construction documents for traditional procurement – “Defcon 2000”
- Drafted the construction-related documentation for the Building Schools for the Future and NHS Lift programmes