Joint Head - Energy, Projects & Construction Practice. Extensive experience in front-end drafting and project documentation for commercial plants and installations, infrastructure/PPP projects and integrated developments. Practice includes litigation, arbitration and other forms of dispute resolution, representing clients in the energy, utilities, construction and engineering industries, and in civil, commercial and property disputes.
Admitted, 1995, Singapore; Accredited Adjudicator, Singapore; Adjudicator, KLRCA Panel; National University of Singapore (LL.B., Hons.).
Member, Society of Construction Law (Singapore); Panel of Adjudicators, Asian International Arbitration Centre; Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution.
Singapore Chapter of the International Libel and Privacy Handbook (1st to 4th Editions); Singapore Chapter on Construction in the Getting the Deal Through: Construction publication; Contributing Editor of the Singapore "White Book" (Singapore Civil Procedure).
Matters of significance in which Peng Cheng has been involved in include acting for the following:
- A main contractor, a subsidiary of a SGX-listed company, in an ICC arbitration against a sovereign state over various claims, including for variations, extensions of time, prolongation costs and recovery of liquidated damages, arising out of the design, construction and operation of a waste management facility in a Middle East country and successfully obtaining a significant award on the same.
- The subsidiary of a listed company on various issues arising out of the collapse of a viaduct under construction at Upper Changi Road East, including defending the company in criminal proceedings brought against it under the Workplace Safety and Health Act in relation to such collapse.
- An owner and operator of a hydrogen and synthesis gas plant in a SIAC arbitration with its end user over a prolonged outage at the plant, and the transfer of the plant and ancillary equipment to the end user.
- SMRT Corporation Ltd on the project documentation for the Singapore-Johor Bahru Rapid Transit Link between Woodlands North station in Singapore and Johor Bahru, a project to be implemented under a Public Private Partnership model, and to be undertaken by a joint venture company formed by SMRT Corporation and a Malaysian entity.
- M+S Pte. Ltd., a joint venture company 60% owned by Khazanah Nasional Berhad and 40% owned by Temasek Holdings (Private) Limited, and its subsidiaries, in the preparation and review of various infrastructure and construction-related project documents for the development and construction of two integrated developments, estimated at S$11 billion, in downtown Singapore.
- Resorts World at Sentosa Pte. Ltd., part of the Genting Group of Companies, on a long-term retainer for the preparation and review of various infrastructure and construction-related project documents for the development and construction of Resorts World Sentosa, a S$6.59 billion integrated resort on Sentosa.
Ranked since 2017 - Construction: Domestic (Singapore)
Chambers & Partners
Ranked since 2013 - Projects & Energy: Domestic (Singapore)
Chambers & Partners