Partner – Banking and Finance Practice. Extensive experience in lending transactions such as project finance, property development finance, asset finance, structured lending, financing for general offers and corporate takeovers, trade finance, securitisations and syndicated loans generally. Advises on debt restructuring, Islamic financing, private banking transactions, bank standard forms and green property loans.
Admitted, 1993, Singapore; 2009, England & Wales; National University of Singapore (LL.B., Hons.).
Member, Law Society of Singapore.
Authored - Global Legal Insights-Fund Finance 2017, Singapore chapter (1st edition); Singapore cross-border guide to lending and taking security for Lexis®PSL Banking & Finance and Lexis Practice Advisor® Banking & Finance.
Significant transactions that Alvin has been involved in include advising / acting for the following:
- A syndicate of lenders in the refinancing of the S$2.1 billion facilities granted to Senoko Energy Pte. Ltd., a power generation company owned by a consortium comprising Marubeni Corporation, ENGIE, The Kansai Electric Power Co., Inc., Kyushu Electric Power Co., Inc. and Japan Bank for International Cooperation.
- The borrowers in a S$2.005 billion financing granted to Milano Central Pte. Ltd., Roma Central Pte. Ltd., Verona Central Pte. Ltd., which are special purpose vehicles owned by a joint venture between Lendlease and the Abu Dhabi Investment Authority, for the construction of a mixed-use development located at Paya Lebar.
- The lender in the grant of facilities of S$1.26 billion to CITIC Environment (International) Company Limited (being a consortium formed between CITIC Limited and Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. L.P.) to finance, inter alia, the general offer for the acquisition of all the shares in United Envirotech Limited (a Singapore-listed water solutions provider).
- Avago Technologies Limited, a leading designer, developer and global supplier of analog, digital, mixed signal and optoelectronics components and subsystems, as Singapore counsel, in respect of a US$4.6 billion facility granted by a group of banks led by a major German Bank for the acquisition of LSI Corporation, a technology company which designs semiconductors and software that accelerate storage and networking in datacentres, mobile networks and client computing.
- A club of lenders in a S$1.2 billion “green loan” granted to Frasers Property Aquamarine Trustee Pte. Ltd. (in its capacity as trustee-manager of Aquamarine Star Trust) for the refinancing of Frasers Tower, a premium Grade-A energy-efficient office tower with its own park and podium roof gardens, located at the gateway to Singapore central business district. The loan is the first syndicated green loan under the Green Loan Principles in Singapore and South-east Asia.
- A major German Bank in relation to the restructuring of Bilcare Singapore Pte. Ltd. which involved several groups of lenders and Jurong Town Corporation (the Singapore government's industrial property landlord).
Ranked since 2009 in Chambers – Banking & Finance: Domestic (Singapore)
Ranked since 2008 in The Legal 500: Asia Pacific – Banking & Finance – Local Firms
The Legal 500
Ranked since 2011 in IFLR1000: Financial & Corporate – Banking