Richard acts for both Claimants and Defendants in Clinical Negligence, Inquests, Abuse & Human Rights, and Court of Protection.
Much of Richard’s work in those practice areas involves vulnerable adults and children, e.g. adult social care, psychiatric treatment, and children’s social services.
Richard has particular experience of:
- Inquests of various kinds, particularly psychiatric treatment, medical/surgical cases, social care/multi-agency deaths, and armed forces and/or social services
- The full range of clinical negligence cases, especially delayed diagnosis of cancer
- Claims and inquests arising from psychiatric treatment, in particular regarding risk assessment, ground leave, s.17 leave, etc.
- Secondary victim claims
- Claims against local authorities (including ECHR breaches and negligent failure to remove); often these arise from Children Act or Court of Protection proceedings.
- Mental Capacity issues (both in court of protection and litigation)
- Sexual Abuse
Pupillage at 3PB barristers 2010-2011, Kings Chambers from 2014
2007, University of Liverpool (Chester): BSc Hons, First Class
2008, College of Law: Graduate Diploma in Law, Commendation
2009, College of Law: Bar Vocational Course, Very Competent
2009, College of Law: LLB Hons (2:1)
- Acting in the inquest into the Challenger 2 explosion at Castlemartin (led by Michael Rawlinson QC) and in subsequent civil litigation
- Acting for mental health trust in a 2-week Jury inquest into the death of a detained patient who had absconded whilst on ground leave;
-Acting for local authority in an inquest into the death of a supported living resident from head injuries caused by head-banging behaviour.
-Acting for family of deceased (inquest and litigation) who suffered from Korsikoff’s Dementia and lacked capacity to make decisions in relation to care/treatment. Despite this he was permitted to reject all personal care and developed a serious infection and died. Case raises serious issues about suitability of placement, Art 2 / Art 3 rights, deprivation of liberty, etc.
-Acting for local authority in an inquest into a domestic homicide, where adult social care had been in contact with victim and perpetrator in the weeks prior to her death.
- Claim for historic abuse by Barry Bennell (Crewe Alexander)
- Various failure to remove claims against various local authorities
- Various claims against local authorities for breach of Art.2, Art.3, Art.5, Art.6, Art.8 arising out of court of protection proceedings or children act proceedings.
- Historic abuse claim against catholic priest, raising issues of consent/grooming.
England and Wales
Particular expertise in
-Claims by Armed Forces personnel, including special forces.
- Psychiatric treatment
- Claims against local authorities (HRA and tort)