Sard Verbinnen & Co (SVC) sardverb.com
Co-Founders and Co-Ceo’s: George Sard and Paul Verbinnen
Chairman: George Sard
Number of Employees: 250
Languages: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Arabic, Portuguese, Greek, German, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese, Farsi
Overview & History
A preeminent global litigation support and financial public relations firm, SVC is a recognized leader in strategic communications with over 30 years of experience providing clients with advice and services to support reputation and drive long-term value, often in connection with critical issues and transformative events. We are experienced in communicating with all key stakeholders, including journalists, investors, analysts, employees, lawmakers and regulators. SVC specializes in high-stakes situations and has deep experience advising on all types of litigation and crisis matters. The firm has extensive experience in financial transactions, government investigations and enforcement actions, senior management changes, proxy contests, data breaches, ransomware attacks and other cyber-related issues. SVC also supports clients on an ongoing basis in connection with long-term corporate positioning and investor relations programs.
SVC’s Litigation Support team works closely with clients and their legal counsel to anticipate and manage legal outcomes, navigate complex and sensitive issues, and execute strategic communications that align with, and advance, the legal strategy. The firm has broad experience advising clients that are subject to enforcement actions by federal and state government entities including: The Department of Justice – civil and criminal; Securities and Exchange Commission; State Attorneys General – civil and criminal; Federal Trade Commission; Federal Communications Commission; Internal Revenue Service; Environmental Protection Agency and others. SVC also advises clients on civil litigation matters across intellectual property claims; mass torts and class actions; shareholder derivative suits; qui tam actions; data breaches and other cyber-related litigation; contract disputes; and employee/workplace litigation.
SVC’s Litigation Support practice includes a senior team of former practicing attorneys with strong backgrounds in civil and criminal litigation and investigations, government affairs, transactional law and intellectual property. Notably, several of these attorneys also spent portions of their careers working in journalism as reporters, producers and/or on-air commentators. The team works closely with counsel to distil complicated legal arguments into accessible and persuasive messaging for media, investors, employees, customers, business partners, industry thought leaders and other stakeholders, with the overarching goal of advancing our clients’ legal strategies while simultaneously advocating for them in the court of public opinion.
Key Differentiating Factors
- Public Affairs: SVC’s Public Affairs practice draws upon decades of high-level government, campaign and policy experience to provide fully integrated public affairs counsel in transformative, high-stakes situations that can affect reputation and value. These efforts – whether proactive or, when necessary, reactive – are seamlessly integrated into SVC’s strategic communications work.
- Media Relationships: Because of the vast scope of SVC’s assignments, the firm has close media contacts – from beat reporters to the most senior editorial staff – at virtually every mainstream publication, broadcast and cable network, and digital outlet.
- Global Platform: SVC has offices – and strong media relationships – in North America, Asia and the UK, and regularly partners with best-in-class local agencies in other regions if/when needed. The firms geographic reach is particularly helpful for complex, multi-jurisdiction matters, as well as U.S.-based court matters with stakeholders, audiences and implications in multiple regions.
- Digital Capabilities: SVC’s communications efforts are supported by a Digital Communications Group that includes a team of highly skilled social media and design experts. Throughout the lifecycle of public litigation and crisis matters, SVC is able to leverage this in-house expertise to help clients anticipate and respond to potential questions and negative chatter across social channels. When appropriate, SVC can also leverage this in-house expertise to help clients amplify their messages and directly target relevant audiences online. While a proactive digital campaign is not appropriate for all litigation matters, any strategic communications planning effort must consider digital channels, as they are an increasingly common aspect of everyday stakeholder communications and can play a critical role in reputation management and rehabilitation.
- Research: SVC Research helps clients understand and communicate with key audiences by gathering market intelligence, polling public opinion, analyzing trends, monitoring corporate reputation, testing messages, measuring the impact of events and communications on stakeholders, tracking employee engagement, and studying the dynamics of organizational cultures. Communication is a two-way process, and research is the "listening" function of strategic communications. The information gleaned from research provides insight into how various stakeholders are thinking about reputational issues resulting from litigation and can, as a result, inform messaging.
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate Positioning
- IPOs and SPAC Transactions
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Restructurings and Bankruptcies
- Crisis and Special Situations
- Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Litigation Support
- Public Affairs
- Activism, Corporate Governance and Shareholder Engagement
- Environmental, Social and Governance
- Employee and Transformation Communications