Provided by Michael D Twomey
Mergers and acquisitions, commercial real estate, energy and natural resources, project finance, shipping, corporate and commercial law
Michael D. Twomey has been an advisor to SSEK since the firm’s founding in 1992. He is experienced in a wide range of corporate, commercial and financial law fields, and advises clients on complex and major transactions in many of Indonesia’s most dynamic sectors, including the oil and gas (both upstream and downstream), mining, private power, hotel, real estate and shipping sectors.
Michael has been recognized numerous times over the years by legal directories as a leading lawyer in Indonesia for corporate law and mergers and acquisitions, projects and natural resources, and real estate. He has been described as "the most talented foreign legal consultant in Jakarta" (IFLR1000), "extremely commercially minded and solution-driven" and “a very strong practitioner” (Chambers Asia Pacific).
Recent projects include assisting a major Asia-headquartered property developer with an office building and residential tower project in Jakarta, acting for an Indonesian luxury resort developer in the development of resorts on the island of Bali, and acting for an Asia-based client in the creation of a foreign investment company in Indonesia to develop a luxury residential project in Jakarta. Michael acted for a Middle East-based petroleum corporation in the formation of a joint venture company to expand and upgrade an oil refinery in Indonesia.
Before joining SSEK, Michael was associated with the New York law firm Thacher Proffitt & Wood LLP, where he specialized in real estate finance and mortgage loan syndication.
• New York State Bar
• American Chamber of Commerce in Indonesia
• Advising an American multinational on a project to develop a mine mouth coal gasification plant for the processing of coal into dimethyl ether through an advance regasification process, with our work including assisting with the establishment of the joint venture project company.
• Advising property developers on various projects to develop hotels, offices, and apartment towers (both for lease and condominiums) in Jakarta, Surabaya and Bali.
• Advising consortium members developing a national strategic project on obtaining tax holidays, a stabilization guarantee and other facilities and incentives from the Government of Indonesia.
• Assisting a national petroleum and natural gas company based in the Middle East with the development of a refinery in Indonesia.
• Representing a solar power investor on the development of a 60MW, becoming a 200MW, solar project on Sulawesi, including reviewing the land rights and permits held by the intended owner of the project.
• Assisting a major Asia-headquartered property developer in the development of an office building and three residential tower in project in Jakarta.
• Acting for an Indonesian luxury resort developer to develop resorts on the island of Bali.
Expert in these Jurisdictions
English – Native
B.A. Economics (graduated magna cum laude with distinction)
University of Virginia School of Law
The A-List: Indonesia’s Top 100 lawyers
Asia Business Law Journal
Leading Lawyer for Corporate/M&A
The Legal 500 Asia Pacific
Distinguished Practioner for Corporate/M&A
Discover other Lawyers at
SSEK Law Firm
Provided by SSEK Law Firm
Energy and Utilities
Industrials, Engineering and Manufacturing
Maritime / Shipping
Property, Construction and Infrastructure
Resources and Mining