Provided by Edmund Burge KC
Financial and Commercial Crime.
Edmund has long been ranked as a leader in Financial Crime at the London Bar, first as a Leading Junior and now as a Q.C. He was called to the Bar in 1997, made a Recorder in 2018 and took Silk in 2019.
He specialises in cases involving large-scale and complex fraud, corruption, arms trafficking and money laundering, frequently with a significant international dimension.
He both prosecutes and defends, with recent instructions in Silk including:
- Re: A - advising a senior company executive on allegations of involvement in large-scale bribery in return for substantial overseas contracts;
- Advising an overseas charitable trust on the recovery of trust records seized under a search warrant;
- Op Afterburner - advising on HMRC’s investigation into the unlicenced supply of fighter jets, surface-to-air missiles and helicopter gunships to Syria, Libya, Iran, and South Sudan;
- R v. F - representing an overseas HNW individual in their appeal against Account Forfeiture Orders obtained by the NCA;
- Advising the City of London Police on their investigation into overseas fraud and corruption relating to the supply of gunboats to west Africa;
- Re: P - advising on potential criminal liability arising from business dealings in the UK with a foreign PEP who is currently under investigation for corruption;
- Advising a HNW individual on the merits of a private prosecution relating to their £million investment in an apparent Ponzi-style fraud. Professional memberships
Fraud Lawyers Association; CBA; SE Circuit.
Edmund Burge KC
Edmund Burge KC is a popular and highly experienced barrister who frequently leads for the prosecution. His high-value financial criminal cases include a number relating to MTIC, VAT and diversion fraud. He also prosecutes money laundering matters and acts as a regular adviser to the CPS on pre-charge investigations. Burge is rated for his ability to handle the more complex cases.
"He is very jury-friendly."