David Azcue is Counsel at Simpson Thacher's Tokyo office, and co-head of the Firm's Private Funds Practice in Japan. He joined the Firm in 2006 and has spent 12 years in the Firm’s Tokyo office and 2 years in the Firm’s Beijing office. David’s practice focuses on advising fund sponsors in connection with all aspects of fundraising across a broad range of strategies, with a focus on structuring and marketing of Asia-focused buyout funds, particularly in Japan. He also advises sponsors on structuring, financing, operations, and other related matters. He represented many of the leading sponsors and asset managers in Japan.
- New York State Bar Association
- Dai-ichi Tokyo Bar Association
- Chambers and Partners Global Practice Guide: Alternative Funds 2020 (Japan) – Trends and Developments
- Chambers and Partners Global Practice Guide: Alternative Funds 2020 (Japan) – Law and Practice (co-author with Keiko Shimizu and Koichiro Yoshimura)
- Global Legal Insights, Fund Finance 2017 – Japan chapter (co-author with Makiko Harunari and Adam Furber)
BA, University of Pennsylvania; JD, University of Michigan Law School. Fluent in Japanese and proficient in Mandarin Chinese.