Provided by Nick Vamos
Nick is the Head of Business Crime and Investigations at Peters & Peters. As a former senior Crown Prosecution Service leader, Nick applies his unique insight and expertise on behalf of clients across the full range of international financial crime including extradition, INTERPOL, mutual legal assistance, fraud, regulatory investigations, money laundering and export controls.
Nick represents individuals accused of financial wrongdoing in multiple jurisdictions, including the former CEO of a major Dubai construction company under investigation for a £300m fraud, a South American banker accused of bribery and money laundering worth £250m, two Middle Eastern politicians accused of embezzling £40m, a former CEO of a private bank accused by the FCA of serious regulatory breaches and two Russian billionaire bankers charged with embezzlement. Nick also leads the team advising Boris Johnson on allegations that he misled Parliament over “Partygate”.
Given his CPS experience, Nick is regularly asked to advise on private prosecutions.
Nick has over 20 years’ experience in international, high-profile and sensitive matters. Before joining Peters & Peters, Nick was Head of Special Crime at the CPS, overseeing the most complex casework including corporate manslaughter, election fraud, police corruption and deaths in police custody. Before that, Nick held the three most senior international prosecution posts: Head of Extradition; Head of the UK Central Authority for Mutual Legal Assistance; and liaison prosecutor in Washington DC working with the US Department of Justice.
• Member of the General Committee of the Private Prosecutors Association
Nick is a frequent writer and commentator in the general and specialist press.
He is the co-author of the Peters & Peters Extradition blog (https://extraditionuk.petersandpeters.com/).
• Acting for an ultra-high net worth South American national, resident in the UK, who is currently under investigation by the US authorities in relation to a vast suspected bribery and money laundering scheme involving senior public officials
• Representing former UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson on allegations that he misled Parliament over “Partygate”
• Defending the former CEO of a major Dubai construction company under investigation for a £300m fraud
• Acting for multiple HNW individuals subject to INTERPOL Red Notices issued by jurisdictions including Russia, UAE, India, Moldova and the Palestinian Authority
Industry Sector Expertise
• Business Crime & Investigations
• Extradition & INTERPOL Red Notices
• Private Prosecutions
• Fraud & Money Laundering
• Mutual Legal Assistance
Expert in these Jurisdictions
Nick acts for clients all over the world.
Nick is the Head of Business Crime and Investigations at Peters & Peters. He also held roles as Head of Special Crime and Head of Extradition at the Crown Prosecution Office and Head of the UK Central Authority at the Home Office.
University of Cambridge