Provided by Daniel Gal KC
Daniel Gal was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2021. He is a solicitor advocate with extensive experience in commercial arbitration and investment treaty disputes and litigation. He has particular experience in complex multijurisdictional disputes in growth markets, in particular the Middle East, Turkey, Russia and Brazil.
Over the course of the last 20 years, he has represented some of the world’s leading companies in sectors such as telecommunications, banking and finance, infrastructure, energy, construction and technology under a variety of different rules including ICC, ICSID, LCIA, UNCITRAL, AAA and ad hoc arbitrations.
- DP World Plc in a bilateral investment treaty claim against the Kingdom of Belgium concerning the expropriation of an infrastructure concession;
- a subsidiary of a major investment group in a series of multibillion-dollar LCIA arbitrations related to the ownership and control of one of the largest Middle Eastern telecommunications companies, and related British Virgin Islands litigation;
- the trustees of Bermuda trusts with assets of approximately US$15 billion as respondent in the defence of multiple proceedings attacking those trusts, including the largest claim by value ever to come before the Bermuda Supreme Court;
- the government of Ras al Khaimah, UAE, in the enforcement of a multimillion-dollar ICC arbitration arising out of a concession agreement, and in the negotiation of a major new strategic infrastructure concession and related litigation aspects;
- the government of South Sudan in its highly publicized and strategically important arbitration with Sudapet Co. Ltd. concerning the disputed ownership of significant oil field interests (with a disputed amount exceeding US$1 billion);
- a leading international telecommunications company in a multibillion-dollar investment treaty claim against a Southeast Asian sovereign state;
- Cypriot and Bermudan entities in connection with a substantial dispute arising under an English law-governed distribution agreement for alcoholic beverages in the U.K. market.
Daniel Gal KC is particularly noted for his work in the telecoms sector, handling high-value arbitrations under LCIA rules. He also has notable experience handling BIT disputes.
"He is very commercial, offers clear, concise advice and has strong negotiation skills." "He is a very strong individual and he works well with clients." "Daniel Gal is superb."