Professor Santa Maria has been practicing law for over 50 years. He regularly advises the Italian government regarding privatizations, restructurings, and several aspects of European law and international trade law. He has been involved in many major M&A deals, mainly in the banking, healthcare, chemical, and industrial sectors. He represents high-profile clients and institutions before Italian courts in leading cases on commercial and corporate law, and before the European Commission, European General Court, and European Court of Justice in proceedings concerning competition, antitrust, state aid, and international trade law. He is frequently appointed as arbitrator or chairman of the arbitration panel in national and foreign arbitration procedures.
• Italian Bar (Milan, 1966)
• Admitted to practice before the Italian Superior Courts
• The Aspen Institute (member since 2005)
• Italian Association for Arbitration (AIA) (since 1989)
• Member of Arbitration Panels for the (i) American Arbitration Association (AAA), (since 1986); (ii) National and International Arbitration Chamber of Milan (since 1999); and (iii) the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board and Permanent Arbitration Court of Mauritius (since 1990).
J.D., University of Milan