López Melih y Estrada, S.C.
López Melih y Estrada, S.C. (LMyE) is a Mexican law firm founded in 2007, specialised in civil, commercial and administrative litigation before State and Federal Mexican Courts, as well as Mexican agencies. It has been recognised by Chambers and Partners in areas such as dispute resolution, competition/antitrust, bankruptcy and restructuring. Led by two founding partners, and other partners and associates:
Managing partner: Alfonso M. López-Melih
Other partners: Juan Pablo Estrada-Michel (founding) and Alfonso González-Torres
Senior Associates: Lorena Peniche-Franco, Carlos G. Guerrero-Orozco and Armando Salinas-Domínguez.
The firm's areas of practice are: (i) Antitrust and competition policy; (ii) Anti-corruption litigation (reparation for harms caused as a consequence of acts of corruption) and compliance for private sector companies; (iii) Arbitration (domestic and international); (iv) Banking; (v) Bankruptcy; (vi) Civil; (vii) Class actions; (viii) Commercial; (ix) Constitutional (amparo, a constitutional remedy); (x) Contractual; (xi) Energy and natural resources; (xi) Ports; (x) Restructuring; (xi) Telecommunications.
LMyE's partners and associates have extensive experience in the areas referred above, and have handled matters of the greatest complexity and the highest profile in Mexico. The principle industry sectors the firm serves are, among others, aerospace, charities, commercial, construction, energy, financial services, government, insurance, pharmaceuticals, real estate, telecommunications and transportation.
Some of the major deals the firm has been part of are the following:
Administrative & Public Law
- LMyE has represented a Notary Public before Mexican Courts, that was fined on the amount of 1 million dollars by a competition agency, for his intervention in a major real estate deal.
- LMyE has represented a Mexican bank before national Courts against resolutions that imposed fines for the alleged breach of banking regulation.
- LMyE has represented the leading mobile player in the telecommunications industry, in administrative and amparo proceedings against a resolution that declared the company, other subsidiaries companies and shareholders as part of a "preponderant" group in telecommunications industry (that entailed the imposition of regulation over the group, mostly related with competition policy).
- LMyE has represented the leading mobile player in the telecommunications industry, in administrative and amparo proceedings against a fine on the amount of US$1 billion dollars.
Anti-corruption litigation and compliance
- LMyE has represented a Mexican company before Courts on civil and anti-corruption matters, to collect damages as a consequence of acts of corruption committed by an international car company. The firm also represented the client in the company's internal reporting mechanism in Germany.
- LMyE has represented a listed company that was investigated for undue execution of public resources and breach of public contracts before anti-corruption agencies and administrative Courts, avoiding sanctions. The firm also designed a strategy to avoid public liabilities on corruption matters, within the context of the investigation.
Bankruptcy and restructuring
- LMyE has represented a major real estate company in the restructuring of 3 billion dollars debt, and has handled diverse civil, commercial and administrative disputes.
- LMyE has represented an international company before Courts on commercial matters and bankruptcy procedures, resulting in the collection of 6mdd to the debtor.
Civil and commercial
- LMyE has represented a major real estate trust before Mexican Courts and international arbitration Courts in the recovery of the possession of an asset, within the context of the breach of a lease agreement.
- LMyE has represented a telecommunications company before Mexican Courts in a class action proceeding filed by a State agency, due to alleged damages caused to mobile telephone clients.
The firm has a significant pro-bono practice, particularly regarding strategic litigation on education matters.
López Melih y Estrada, S.C.
Sierra Gamón 320, Lomas de Chapultepec, Mexico City, Zip Code 11000
(+52) 55 5540 0707
Provided by López Melih y Estrada, S.C.