Managing Partner: Beomsu Kim
Number of partners: 10
Number of lawyers: 25
Languages: English, Korean
KL Partners was founded in 2015 by a group of leading specialists in the fields of Arbitration, Litigation and corporate/M&A. Led by partners who pride themselves to be highly regarded by clients and recognized by foremost legal publications as leaders in their respective fields, KL Partners consistently finds itself at the forefront of Korea’s most significant disputes and high-profile M&A transactions.
KL Partners began with a goal of not necessarily being the largest firm in Korea but rather, to be the firm of choice for clients facing difficult legal issues, challenging disputes and critical business dealings. Now, however, KL Partners finds itself ever more growing and expanding its service as it grows together with its clients’ global needs. KL Partners’ core values are providing dedicated client service based on a keen understanding of the client’s needs and goals, ensuring the highest quality of service led by hands-on partners from start to finish, and offering value-added service by lean teams comprised of specialists in the relevant fields.
MAIN AREAS OF PRACTICE:
3 partners, 8 fee earners based in Seoul, South Korea
KL Partners is renowned for its unparalleled ability in handling complex and large–scale international disputes and cross–border litigations and carries extensive experiences in institutional arbitrations in various jurisdictions, under the auspices of the KCAB, ICC, LCIA, SIAC, HKIAC, SHIAC, NAI and ZCC, as well as ad–hoc arbitrations under the rules of UNCITRAL, and have significant expertise in representing clients in a wide range of industries for litigations involving Korean law issues or a Korean party.
In particular, the partners of KL Partners’ Arbitration Team are widely recognized as front–runners in the area of Investor State Disputes (ISD), starting from their role as lead counsel to the first–ever ISD proceeding against the Republic of Korea.
- Represented a Korean game company in a KCAB arbitration against its Chinese licensee concerning a license agreement
- Represented a Vietnamese food company in a KCAB arbitration against a Korean food company concerning a franchise agreement
- Represented a Korean developer in a KCAB arbitration against a Korean construction design company concerning a real estate development project
- Represented a Korean PEF in an ICC arbitration against a Chinese financial institution concerning a post-M&A dispute
- Represented a Korean PEF in an ICC arbitration against a European financial institution concerning a post-M&A dispute
- Represented a Belgian investment company in an ICC arbitration against a Korean financial institution concerning a technology transfer agreement
- Represented a Korean shipbuilding company in an ICC arbitration against a German shipbuilding company concerning a technology transfer agreement
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICC arbitration against a U.S. investment company concerning a joint venture related to a real estate development
- Represented a global share-office company in an ICC arbitration against its lessee concerning a lease contract
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICC arbitration against a local owner concerning a supply agreement for a Saudi Arabian construction project
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICC arbitration against a Vietnamese owner concerning a foreign SOC construction business
- Represented a Korean game company in a SIAC arbitration against a Southeast Asian game publisher concerning IP infringement
- Represented a Korean construction company in an UNCITRAL arbitration against an Indian owner concerning a construction project in India
- Represented a Korean public company in a KCAB arbitration against a construction company concerning a major overseas plant construction and operation project
- Represented a number of U.S. PEFs in an investor-state dispute (ISD) against the Korean government
- Represented a Korean healthcare company in a SHIAC arbitration and other litigation proceedings against a Chinese JV partner concerning a JV agreement
- Represented a Belgian investment company in an investor-state dispute (ISD) against the Korean government under the ICSID rules, regarding the sale of a Korean financial institution
- Represented a Korean electronics company in SIAC and KCAB arbitrations against a Middle Eastern distributor with regards to a distributorship agreement
- Represented a U.S. consulting firm in a KCAB arbitration against a Korean government agency concerning a violation of the advisory agreement for a WTO trade dispute
- Represented a European construction company in a DIAC arbitration against a Korean government agency concerning a subcontract agreement for a Middle East construction project
- Represented a Korean construction company in an ICC arbitration against a Vietnamese state-run company concerning a highway construction project in Vietnam
- Represented a Korean IP investment company in a KCAB arbitration against a Korean IT company
- Represented a Korean game company in an enforcement proceeding and a set-aside proceeding against a Chinese game company concerning a license dispute
- Represented a Korean shipping company in an ICC arbitration against a foreign company concerning a yard consortium in Africa
Key Clients: Elliott Funds, Mason Capital Management LLC, Lone Star Funds, ChuanQi IP Co., Ltd., DAELIM Industrial Co., Ltd., Vogo Funds (VIG Partners), PUBG Corporation, POSCO Engineering & Construction Co., Ltd. and Winiadaewoo
Contact: Young Suk Park +82 2 6226 7700
Email: [email protected]
3 partners, 7 fee earners based in Seoul, South Korea
KL Partners’ comprehensive service encompasses not only the traditional litigation fields, such as civil, criminal, administrative, labor, conservation (provisional attachment, injunction), and compulsory enforcement, but also specialized fields, including M&A and management rights dispute (acquisition/defense strategies related to hostile takeovers, holding of shareholders meetings, injunctions or lawsuits on the merits regarding executive positions), securities and finance (lawsuits involving transactions on funds or options, securitization, structured financing, investment trust, insurance), antitrust, intellectual property rights (injunctions or lawsuits on the merits involving infringement of patents, trademarks or copyrights, employee poaching) and healthcare (civil or criminal lawsuits involving medical malpractice, medical administrative lawsuit) and construction.
- Representing Sweden Co. in relation to a pending dispute over a breach of a lease agreement entered into with one of the leading retailers in Korea
- Representing Singapore Co. in relation to concurrent civil and criminal proceedings in Korea relating to a commodity sale transaction involving fraud and forgery, etc.
- Representing Germany Co. in relation to civil claims for wrongful termination of exclusive distribution rights granted by GEA to a local distributor in Korea
- Representing Israel Co. in a civil claim relating to a series of erroneous off-market options trades that resulted in the execution of unintended trades in excess of US$ 3.5 million, and counterclaims against the securities broker for failure to monitor, etc.
Contact: Neung Kyu Lee +82 2 6226 7779
Email: [email protected]
4 partners, 11 fee earners based in Seoul, South Korea
KL Partners’ corporate/M&A team is led by partners who have consistently been recognised by foremost legal publications as ‘Leading Lawyers’ in the field of corporate/M&A in Korea.
KL Partners regularly advises on a broad range of corporate matters, including M&A, cross-border investments and private equity transactions that involve multiple languages and multiple jurisdictions.Not only does the firm pride itself of the exceptional English capability of its attorneys rarely found in most Korean law firms, the attorneys are well versed in responding to and utilizing the foreign business practices and cultural nuances for the best outcome of its clients.
- Acquisition of UB Care on behalf of Green Cross Corp. (2020)
- Advice to Synaptic Investment’s Investment on GC Healthcare Co., Ltd (2020)
- Advice to Credian Partners on the acquisition of MagnaChip Semiconductor Corp.’s foundry business (2020)
- Advice to Green Cross Healthcare Co., Ltd.’s Acquisition of UBcare Co., Ltd. (2020)
- Advice to Business transfer of Magnachip Foundry Sector and Factory in CheongJu to newly established private equity fund (2020)
- Advice to Kolmar Korea Holding Co., Ltd. And other major shareholders of KolmarPharma Co., Ltd.’ S Stock transfer of KolmarPharma Co., Ltd. (2020)
- Advice to Business Transfer of CMO Business of Kolmar Korea Co., Ltd. (2020)
- Advice to Private Equity Funds’ investment in Megazone Cloud Corp. (2020)
- Advice to Socar (one of the well-developed mobility companies mainly engaged in car-sharing and car-hailing business)’s equity capital inducement from a reputable PE house (2020)
- Represented GS Energy in its share acquisition of GS Power (2021)
- Represented JKL Partners on its investment in T’way Air. (2021)
- Represented Cactus PE in the acquisition of Korea Asset Pricing Co. (2021)
Key Clients: Green Cross Healthcare Co., Ltd., Credian Partners Inc., Kolmar Korea Holindgs Co.,Ltd., Kolmar Korea Co., Ltd., MIDAS PE, JKL Partners, Synaptic Investment, SOCAR, SK Telecom, Keistone Partners PEF, GS Energy
Contact: Audrey Lee +82 2 6226 7700
Email: [email protected]
Commercial Arbitration, International arbitration, Investor-State Disputes, General Corporate, M&A, Corporate/M&A Disputes, Cross-border litigation
17th Floor, East Wing, Signature Tower, 100 Cheonggyecheon-ro, Jung-gu, Seoul, Korea