DLA Piper LLP
Global Co-Chairs: Andrew Darwin and Frank W. Ryan
Co-Chief Executive Officers: Simon Levine and Frank W. Ryan
Number of partners: 1,500
Number of lawyers: 5,000
Languages: The firm speaks over 60 languages
Offices: Lawyers located in more than 60 countries throughout the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and Asia Pacific.
Further details can be found at www.dlapiper.com
DLA Piper is a global law firm that provides its clients with legal and business solutions locally, regionally and internationally using integrated teams of lawyers with experience that spans a broad range of disciplines. DLA Piper is widely recognised for its pioneering approach and extensive geographic reach, which enables the firm to look after the business issues that matter to its clients — whether they are large or small. Clients include single-owner startups, local and household-name companies, multinationals, financial institutions, FTSE and Fortune 500 enterprises and their subsidiaries, public bodies and governments.
Main Areas of Practice:
Antitrust & EU Competition:
The firm helps clients find solutions to their antitrust and EU competition law needs around the world. The global team works closely and is able to provide a seamless service across multiple jurisdictions. It also works closely with the firm’s trade and global government relations practice, which gives it a unique perspective on the workings of governments and policymakers.
The firm provides commercial contract support for in-house legal teams and also handles major projects and businesscritical contracts for companies across sectors. The group’s advice covers all kinds of commercial agreements, including purchase and supply, partnering, agency and distribution, franchise, logistics and warehousing, facilities management, management arrangements, commercial outsourcing, joint ventures, partnerships and strategic alliances.
The firm represents all the participants in the engineering and construction process — owners, contractors, design professionals, lenders and other supporting businesses. The team’s reach extends to the full range of construction projects and delivery methods and into all regions of the world.
The firm advises many of the world’s leading and emerging companies, as well as financial institutions and buyout and investment funds, on mergers and acquisitions, IPOs, public and private equity and debt offerings, venture capital and private equity investments, and other transactional matters. It also advises on securities compliance, corporate governance, IT, tax, and executive compensation.
Employment, Pensions & Benefits:
The firm provides guidance through structural change; handles senior executive appointments and severance; manages employee relations, policy matters; works with councils; and handles trade union issues and disputes. The team advises on and litigates on equal employment opportunity and discrimination-based issues, and defends and prosecutes claims involving the protection of business assets and reputations.
The firm advises on all aspects of financing across a broad range of sectors. The team has extensive experience acting for a full range of clients, including banks and arrangers, lenders, lead managers, venture capitalists, corporations, issuers, real estate trusts, funds, project developers, monoline insurers, trading houses, utilities, vendors, government entities, major airlines, shipowners, lessors, train operating companies and manufacturers, on an extensive range of cross-border and national deals.
The firm develops asset management and protection strategies designed to help clients manage risk, continue growth and protect market share around the world. It understands the commercial issues and pressures that arise from IP disputes or related negotiations, and provides innovative and strategic solutions to deal with them.
The firm’s practice has handled complex cross-border disputes in jurisdictions internationally under a wide range of arbitral bodies. The team has helped clients worldwide reap the benefits of international arbitration procedures. The team has significant experience in complex, international disputes under all of the principal international arbitral rules.
The firm’s practice draws on an in-depth knowledge of both the law and the political landscape across multiple jurisdictions to provide effective global strategies for those engaged in international trade and investment. The team has an outstanding record of successfully advising companies, trade associations and governments on the full range of trade issues.
Litigation & Arbitration:
The firm’s global team understands the legal, business and procedural developments in jurisdictions around the world. It aims to reduce the uncertainties involved in commercial disputes through innovative dispute resolution strategies and effective case management.
The firm handles complex multi-party, multijurisdictional cases in a wide variety of industries, including mass tort and class action litigation, and individual claims. The team’s international reach enables it to advise on laws and regulations as they relate to products wherever companies do business, and to coordinate its services in all the jurisdictions involved.
Projects & Infrastructure:
The firm represents commercial banks and investment banks, private equity funds, insurance companies, multilateral financing companies, export credit agencies, joint ventures, institutional investors, contractors, developers, sponsors, trustees, sovereigns and government agencies in a wide variety of matters. The team has participated in the development, financing, acquisition and operation of complex infrastructure projects on nearly every continent.
This firm’s practice is the world’s largest and is consistently top-ranked around the world. A full range of services is offered in areas including acquisitions and disposals, construction, financing, hospitality and leisure, land use, planning and development, leasing, environmental law, insurance and tax.
Regulatory & Government Affairs:
The firm provides a complete service to address regulatory risk advice on rules and practice guidance, lobbying, corporate defence, compliance and crisis management. The team draws its experience from criminal defence lawyers, former regulators and government affairs advisors.
The firm’s dedicated lawyers around the world work seamlessly to deliver innovative restructuring solutions locally and internationally. The team has in-depth experience advising on all matters relating to public and private companies in underperforming and distressed situations. It serves a diverse client base that includes debtors, lenders, government entities, trustees, shareholders, senior executives and distressed debt and asset buyers and investors.
The firm advises on local and national tax as well as a commercially integrated approach to cross-border structures and tax efficiency. It offers the full range of tax services that address the challenges of international commerce and business operations, including arranging operations to reduce effective global tax rates, transfer pricing, tax disputes and post-acquisition integration.
Technology & Media:
The firm’s technology and sourcing practice advises on complex transactions and multi-party, high-value, project work, frequently spanning multiple jurisdictions. It focuses on the development, protection, exploitation and use of technologyrelated assets through various stages of a company’s growth, as well as the sourcing of strategic assets and services for use in a company’s operations. The firm’s media practice counts many of the world’s largest, most high-profile entertainment and new media companies, sports bodies and major financial institutions as clients. It provides legal advice covering many areas, including: telecommunications, patents, trademarks, copyright, intellectual property, film financing, M&A, anticounterfeiting, e-business, sports litigation and privacy.
White Collar, Corporate Crime & Investigations:
The firm’s global practice comprises a team of partners and associates who focus on criminal, regulatory and compliance problems affecting major corporations, their officers and employees. It represents corporations, business entities and individuals at every stage of the business risk cycle — from legislative monitoring and lobbying; to developing proactive compliance programs and conducting internal audits and investigations, providing advice during criminal or regulatory investigations; and defending clients in court when necessary.
Provided by DLA Piper LLP
- ViennaSchottenring 14, Vienna, Vienna, Austria, A-1010View ranked office
- ManamaOffice 701, Level 7, The Address Tower, Building 655, Road 3614, Block 436, Al Seef District, Manama, Bahrain, BahrainView ranked office
- Beijing20th Floor, South Tower, Beijing Kerry Center, No. 1 Guanghua Road, Chaoyang District, Beijing, Beijing, China, 100020View ranked officeHong Kong25th Floor, Three Exchange Square, 8 Connaught Place, 15 Queen's Road Central, Hong Kong, Hong Kong, ChinaView ranked officeShanghai36/F, Shanghai World Financial Center, 100 Century Avenue, Pudong, Shanghai, Shanghai, China, 200120View ranked office
- KøbenhavnOslo Plads 2, 2100 København Ø, Denmark, København, Hovedstaden, Denmark, DK-1550View ranked office
- HelsinkiFabianinkatu 23, Helsinki, Uusimaa, Finland, FI-00130View ranked office
- Paris27 Rue Laffitte, Paris, Paris, France, 75009View ranked office
- BudapestCsörsz u. 49-51., Budapest, Budapest, Capital City, Hungary, H-1124View ranked office
- TokyoMeiji Seimei Kan, 7F, 2-1-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Tokyo-to, Japan, 100-0005View ranked office
- Luxembourg37A, Avenue John F. Kennedy, Luxembourg, Luxembourg, Luxembourg, L-1855View ranked office
- CasablancaCasa Marina Business Center, Tour Crystal 3, 2ème étage, Boulevard des Almohades, Casablanca, Casablanca, Grand Casablanca, Morocco, 20000View ranked office
- AmsterdamGebouw Meerparc, Amstelveenseweg 638, Amsterdam, North Holland, Netherlands, 1081 JJView ranked office
- OsloBryggegata 6, 0250, PO Box 1364, Vika, Oslo, Oslo, Norway, N-0114View ranked office
- WarsawI.L. Pereca 1, Warsaw, Masovian, Poland, 00-849View ranked office
- DohaPO Box 25800 Level 11, Alfardan Office Tower West Bay , Doha, Ad Dawhah, QatarView ranked office
- BucharestMetropolis Center, 89-97 Grigore Alexandrescu Str., East Wing, 1st Floor, Sector 1, Bucharest, Bucureşti, Romania, 010624View ranked office
- RiyadhSuite #403A, Level 4, Centria Mall Office Tower, Olaya Street, Al Olaya, PO Box 300002, Riyadh, Al Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, 11372View ranked office
- Singapore80 Raffles Place, #48-01 UOB Plaza 1, Singapore, Singapore Island, Singapore, 048624View ranked office
- Sandton6th Floor, 61 Katherine Street, Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa, 2196View ranked office
- SeoulForeign Legal Consultant Office, 32F, Mirae Asset Center 1, West Tower, 67, Suha-dong, Jung-gu, Seoul, Seoul, South Korea, 100-210View ranked office
- MadridPaseo de la Castellana, 39 , Madrid, Madrid, Spain, 28046View ranked office
- Bangkok47th Floor, Unit 4707 Empire Tower, 195 South Sathorn Road, Yannawa, Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand, 10120View ranked office
- UndefinedUndefined, Undefined, UndefinedView ranked office
17 Contributions provided by DLA Piper LLP
France’s stance against corruption and the wider group of offences that fall within the scope of “i...
In 2020–21, several experts predicted a wave of bankruptcies due to the restrictions and lockdowns...
The first six months of 2022 saw a record number of deals in France, according to data from Capital...
The general counsel's comprehensive guide | Austria
According to the press releases from the Census and Statistics Department issued on 11 March 2022,...
The general counsel's comprehensive guide | Hong Kong