Bun & Associates
BUN & ASSOCIATES
Tel: +855 23 999 567
Managing Partner: Mr Youdy Bun
Partners: Dr Antoine Fontaine, Sophealeak Ing
Number of Fee Earners: 58
Languages: English, French, Khmer, Japanese
Bun & Associates is Cambodia’s leading corporate and business advisory law firm.
For over 15 years, we have been at the centre of the deals, policies and legislation that have transformed Cambodia.
The economy has grown steadily, as the government pursues a liberal economic policy agenda to attract foreign and local investment and expand international trade. While significant progress has been made, Cambodia remains an emerging market. Navigating this fast-changing commercial, political and regulatory environment is challenging, and demands counsel of senior, experienced lawyers.
Bun & Associates combines two worlds: a deep pride in our Khmer heritage and an international outlook. Our teams of legal and tax specialists are multilingual, having worked with leading firms in Asia, Europe and North America. Qualified in civil and common law jurisdictions, they are leader in their field. Their advice combines global perspectives with an understanding of local markets.
We regularly work alongside the elite international firms on multi-jurisdictional transactions and disputes. This ensures we are up-to-date with the latest legal and policy trends in other countries.
Bun & Associates is the ‘firm of choice’ for leading regional and multinational businesses, governments, state-owned entities and international organizations.
Main Areas of Practice:
• Acted as local counsel of a Japanese megabank in the acquisition of a substantial stake in Cambodia’s largest commercial bank
• Acted as counsel of the majority shareholder in a joint venture establishing one of the largest cement plants in Cambodia
• Acted for a leading foreign telecommunication operator in a ground-breaking transaction involving the acquisition of a significant 5G technology enable Radio Frequency Spectrum since the adoption of the Law on telecommunication.
• Represented an offshore bank in relation to an aircraft financing extended to a Cambodian carrier
• Acted as counsel to South East Asia’s fifth largest financial institution on its market entry into Cambodia
• Advised a foreign state bank on the restructuring of a financing granted to a hydro power plant operator
• Advised a foreign Exim bank on a financing transaction to an air traffic controller
• Represented a multinational life insurance company on the market entry into Cambodia through the obtaining of the first license granted to a wholly foreign-owned entity
• Represented European insurance companies in obtaining Cambodia’s first and second micro-insurance license and broker license
• Assisted the Ministry of Economy and Finance in drafting insurance regulations
• Assisted the Ministry of Mines and Energy in drafting the first law on petroleum as well as its implementation regulations covering both up-stream and downstream of the petroleum business.
• Advised a large Japanese manufacturer in its $65 million investment project establishing Cambodia’s first electronic large-scale mass production facility
• Acted for a large conglomerate to issue the first guaranteed bond traded on Cambodia Securities Exchange.
• Acted as local counsel of a Malaysia-based financial group in disposal of its wholly-owned commercial bank in Cambodia to a Singapore based financial group
• Acted as local counsel of one of the world’s leading premium school business operator organization in an acquisition of the largest international school in Cambodia
• Assisted a Singapore-based financial group in a joint venture with a leading Cambodian commercial bank and Cambodia Post in the establishment of Cambodia Post Bank
• Assisted one of the largest telecommunication operators on regulatory compliance matter in relation to the implementation of the law on telecommunications and implementing sub-regulations
• Advised a major Japanese shopping mall developer in the setup of the first world-class shopping mall in Cambodia
• Advised a world leading duty-free business operator on regulatory framework, licensing and operation requirements
• Counselled clients on the acquisitions of nine rubber plantations operated under the economic land concession framework
• Advised a Japanese development agency in the financing of a medical centre
• Acted as counsel to a US-based world leader timber investment and management company in business expansion in Cambodia
• Acted as counsel to a European-based leading company in the cash crop business on its acquisition of an existing economic land concession
• Acted as counsel to the private equity arm of a world leading financial institution in the acquisition of a garment factory
• Acted as counsel to one of the largest Cambodian conglomerates to acquire a complete turn-key brewery plant.
Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC), CIMB Bank, The Bank of Tokyo- Mitsubishi UFJ (BTMU), Hong Leong Bank (Cambodia) Plc, Fullerton Financial Holdings, Smart Axiata, Khmer Brewery, Aeon Mall, Total Cambodge, Groupe Prévoir, AIA (Cambodia) Life Insurance Plc, MEF, Milvik, Minebea, Sony Electronics (S) Pte Ltd, Thai Samsung Electronics, SOCFINASIA, Chip Mong Group, Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA), Nippon Express, FWD, Phillip Life Assurance (Cambodia) Plc.
- Banking & Finance
- Commercial Contracts & Business Licensing
- Commercial Dispute Resolution
- Corporate and M&A
- Digital and Telecommunications
- Intellectual Property
- Labor & Employment
- Oil & Gas
- Public Policy & Law
- Real Estate & Construction
- Tax & Customs
Contact: Youdy Bun
Tel: +855 12 817 817
Email: [email protected]
Provided by Bun & Associates