ARIAS B. & ASSOCIATES
Number of partners: 3
Number of lawyers: 7
Languages: English, Japanese, Spanish
Arias B. & Associates is a Panamanian law firm specialising in shipping and corporate law. The firm is a leader in the registration and financing of Panama flag vessels, litigation before the Maritime courts of Panama and in litigation before courts abroad involving Panama flag vessels. The firm’s practice also includes corporate matters involving Panamanian companies and Private Interest Foundations in shipping, aviation, commercial matters, wealth management and others. The firm is appointed to draft and review contracts for the construction, sale and purchase, as well as financing of Panama flag vessels and to assist with the registration of said vessels and their securities in the Panamanian registry.
The firm also has a shipping litigation department, built on the firm’s vast experience. Cases related to in personam and in rem proceedings are very regular in the practice, such as maritime claims and liens, charter party conflicts, bunker disputes, arrest of ships as well as injunctions and others.
Partners and associates of the firm have been involved in the drafting of Panamanian shipping legislation and have been requested to advise administrative and judicial authorities in the Republic of Panama and abroad on maritime affairs.
The firm’s advantage is the personalised service provided by all partners, associates and staff in a timely manner in consideration of the various time zones involved in each transaction or contentious matter. The firm also maintains excellent relations with the administrative and judicial authorities in Panama enabling clients to obtain prompt solutions.
MAIN AREAS OF PRACTICE:
Shipping Asset Finance:
3 partners 3 lawyers.
Juan Ramon Ramirez
Jorge Ramirez Arias
1. Assisted with the delivery of a new built of 109,777 GRT LNG vessel built by Hyundai Heavy Industries Co., Ltd. in Korea. The firm's work scope includes the review of the security documents from a Panama law perspective, the registration of the property title and mortgage on the delivery date, and the issuance of legal opinions.
2. Assisting with the delivery and financing of a newbuilding LNG carrier registered under Panama flag. The firm's work scope includes the registration of the vessel, the review of all security documents from a Panama law perspective, the corporate authorities of the Panamanian ship owning company, the registration of the ship mortgages, the issuance of legal opinions.
3. Acquisition of one tanker and refinancing of the existing bank debt of parent companies in respect of another tanker. The firm's work scope includes the review of all security documents from a Panama law perspective, the registration of one of the tankers under Panama flag and the registration of a ship mortgage over each of the tankers, the issuance of legal opinions.
4. Three separate loan facilities to re-finance the acquisition of three cargo vessels owned by an Indonesian company, reviewing the security documents from a Panamanian law perspective, assisting in the registration of the mortgages, issuing legal opinions.
5. Finance for the acquisition of 4 newbuildings to be to be owned by a major shipping container company. The firm's work scope includes the review of all security documents from a Panama law perspective, the corporate authorities of the Panamanian guarantor, the issuance of legal opinions.
1 partner 1 senior associate 1 lawyer
1. Represented the ship owner of a Panama flag vessel wrongly sued before the Maritime Court of Panama in relation to a bunker claim.
3 partners 3 lawyers
The firm reviews contracts to be entered into by Panamanian companies and Private Interest Foundations, as well as advises and issues legal opinions on matters of Panamanian law in respect of said contracts.
The firm acts for Banks, Leasing Companies, ECAs, Financial Institutions, Lenders, Funds, Ship Owners, Charterers, Management Companies, Law Firms, P&I Clubs, Insurance Companies, Logistics Companies, Agents, Energy Companies and other parties.
BICSA Financial Center 60th Floor,
Republic of Panama
Email: [email protected]