- Intellectual property (trademarks, patents, copyright, domain names, technical know-how, anti-counterfeiting, company name objections, alternate dispute resolution, IP audits)
- Advertising – Consumer and competitor complaints
- Technology, Media and Telecommunications
- Commercial IP (licensing, franchising, royalty structuring, purchase and sale; IP valuations and M&A due diligence, software development)
- IP litigation (infringement, passing-off, unlawful competition, defamation, competition law)
- SARB exchange control applications and IP structuring (local and offshore)
- Regulatory, compliance and corporate governance
Sara-Jane heads up our Intellectual Property department and is a specialist in the field, having trained at one of South Africa’s top-rated IP law firms, John & Kernick, which later merged with Bowman Gilfillan. She also served as senior corporate counsel at Sappi and IBM, over a six-year period and during which time she sat on the executive and was responsible for wide-ranging global IP, commercial and regulatory matters within each of these organizations. Sara-Jane went on to open her own boutique IP law firm in 2010, until April 2014 when the firm merged with Eversheds Sutherland to become its Intellectual Property department. Sara-Jane was admitted as an Attorney of the High Court in 1999 and has 22 years PQE.