Managing Partner: Stefan Botezatu
Number of partners: 3 Number of lawyers: 21
Languages: English, French, German, Russian, Romanian
Founded in 2016 by Stefan Botezatu (formerly Partner with international law firm Gide and CEE law firm Kinstellar) and Laura Estrade (formerly Associate with Gide and Counsel with Kinstellar).
A team of agile, innovative, result oriented and flexible lawyers, all sourced from top international and local law firms (Allen&Overy, Clifford Chance, Gide, Kinstellar, Schoenherr, Tuca Zbarcea & Asociatii), with an impressive track record of achievements acquired over time in high profile transactions and complex disputes conducted in a wide array of practice areas and sharing the same values and culture, now part of an agile, bold and flexible legal advisor: act | Botezatu Estrade Partners.
The team acts as a true extension of client’s teams. Business relationships with many of the firm’s clients date back to more than 15-22 years. Entrepreneurship, integrity and innovation are cornerstone values of the firm.
The firm believes in and breathes entrepreneurship, thus, it continuously develops new products, uniquely tailored for the legal market, to the benefit of its clients.
The firm recently developed and launched two legal apps dedicated to how the clients should react and behave in case of searches and inspections made by the prosecutors in Romania (White Collar app) and in case of dawn raids by the Competition Authority (DawnRaid app), both available for download from App Store and Google Play.
Starting January 1st, 2020, act | Botezatu Estrade Partners joined act legal, a strong and closed alliance with 16 offices in continental Europe’s most important markets, benefiting of the experience and market knowledge of over 425 professionals.
act legal has the relevant performance profile of a major international law firm with the efficient structures of a boutique, offering cross-border regional full-service legal support to companies and investors that intend to do business in or already have a footprint in Continental Europe.
act legal stands for high quality, fair pricing, efficient bespoke processes, strong partner involvement and a personal approach, all of which makes act legal an attractive alternative to major international law firms.
Main Areas of Practice:
Banking & Finance
Corporate & Commercial
Litigation & Arbitration
Mergers & Acquisitions/Privatisation
Real Estate & Construction
Regulatory & Compliance
Tech & Digital
White Collar Crime Defense
The team has acted on some of the largest transactions, both on local and regional level. A selection of the most important mandates includes:
2 partners, 5 fee earners
• Assisting a major energy player in implementing NEXT-E project (a unique cooperation of four electricity and oil & gas companies joining forces with car manufacturers to create interoperable and non-discriminatory EV charging network)
• Assisting an integrated gas and electricity supplier in the implementation of online commerce with energy and gas
• Assisting key energy and gas players in energy regulatory matters related to the setting of gas regulated prices and gas and electricity distribution tariffs
• Assisting a key energy and gas player in matters related to regulatory changes triggered by the new national legal framework enforced in December 2018
2 partners, 6 fee earners
• Assisting the world leader in quality of life services in connection with acquiring in several tranches including through the exercise of call option of the majority shareholding in a Romanian fitness services start-up
• Assisting top gas supplier players on the Romanian market in the spin-off towards a new company providing gas supply to non-eligible gas customers
• Assisting the buyer (the holding company of a gas and electricity distribution and supply key player), in relation to the acquisition of 48% of the shares held by a partner in a joint venture company in gas revisions and verifications sector
• Assisting a large group on the gas and electricity market in the business transfer of its IT division into the shared services company
• Assisting the seller in the largest post privatisation deal in energy sector regarding the sale of 30% stake in the sole Romanian integrated gas and electricity distribution company
Tech & Digital:
1 partner, 3 fee earners
• Advising an integrated gas and electricity supplier in relation to IoT-related matters and Smart Home solutions
• Advises on regulatory frameworks and issues related to crypto assets and crypto-enabled financing
• Advising the world leader in quality of life services in relation to online campaigns, online contracting, e-commerce and data privacy matters
• Assisting the world leader in quality of life services regarding the digitalisation of sale processes and compliance regarding new tech products components
White Collar Crime Defense:
1 partner, 3 fee earners
• Advising and representing a multinational company in a criminal case involving corruption, cybercrime and disclosure of non-public information
• Advising and representing a multinational company as civil party with respect to criminal litigation related to fraudulent consumption of electricity and concerning offences against the persons
• Advising and representing a multinational company acting in a renowned criminal case involving corruption and embezzlement
Litigation & Arbitration:
1 partner, 6 fee earners
• Advising and representing an electricity distribution company in a dispute initiated by RCS/RDS group in relation to the exclusivity granted to the concessionaires of the electricity distribution service in Romania
• Assistance and representing a key player in the electricity distribution and supply market in an antitrust claim seeking the annulment of a fine applied by the Romanian Competition Council for the purported facilitation of anticompetitive agreements and practices
• Advising and representing major energy players in several multimillion ICC arbitration cases, including in relation to alleged breaches of privatisation agreements
• Advising and representing a retail chain in disputes with an aggregate value of 22 Mil. EUR regarding the termination of certain lease agreements
• Advising and representing distribution and supply of electricity and gas sector players with regard to disputes against the National Energy Regulatory Authority in relation to tariffs and fines applied by the Regulatory Authority
1 partner, 4 fee earners
• Assisting the seller in relation to a transaction involving the assignment of two joint venture agreements, in relation to the disposal of rights over part of the land located in a dynamic city emerging as Romania’s Technopolis, for the development of a mixed-use project combining recreational, retail and office spaces, including as regards drafting and negotiation of the contractual documentation
• Assisting in relation to the purchase-sale of a buildable plot of land located in Bucharest with a value of over EUR 6 million
1 partner, 4 fee earners
• Assisting and representing an integrated gas and electricity distribution company in relation to a preliminary investigation by the Competition Council regarding ancillary services for the distribution of electricity and natural gas
• Assisting and representing a retail company in relation to a dawn raid by the Competition Council and regarding an investigation concerning alleged price fixing in the promotional sales
• Assisting and representing with drafting and submitting to the Romanian Competition Council of the merger clearance regarding the acquisition of the sole control in a joint venture company in gas revisions and verifications sector
Delgaz Grid, E.ON Romania, Romania Hypermarche (Cora), Sodexo Pass Romania, Sodexo On-site Services Romania, Veolia Water Solutions & Technologies Romania, Teva Pharmaceuticals
Contact: Stefan Botezatu, Managing Partner
Tel: +40 756 049 286
Email: [email protected]
Contact: Laura Estrade, Partner
Tel: +40 745 625 882
Email: [email protected]