Submission Guidelines For The Bar
Getting on the Chambers Ranking Radar
The decision to include sets and barristers in the tables in Chambers Bar guides is based on a number of factors. Of primary importance are:
1. The volume, complexity and importance of work undertaken in the year prior to publication.
2. Visibility and profile as reflected in the views of our many interviewees (clients, instructing solicitors and fellow barristers) who are asked to comment on a set's strength and its individual barristers' performance (whether on paper, in court or in conference).
Sets and individuals are included in our rankings when they have received sufficient positive comment. The factors mentioned above also determine the relative positions allotted in the tables.
Chambers Bar: Submission Guidelines
We encourage sets to prepare submissions to assist with our research. Although these are optional and not a prerequisite for inclusion, they serve a dual function:
• Submissions tell us about the work of individuals at the set, both those previously ranked and those whom the set believes should be considered for inclusion in a practice area for the first time. They attest to the continuing activity of individuals, ensure accuracy of factual information and guard against publication of confidential matters. Each barrister can put forward up to 5 cases for consideration.
• Submissions provide us with referee contacts that our researchers can use to obtain informed views on the members of chambers and their work. Each barrister can put forward up to 5 references per section.
Each set is provided with a username and password with which to upload its submissions. We ask that a single submission document be uploaded for each practice area. This applies whether or not the set or its barristers have been ranked before. Additionally, you may put the referee contacts on separate spreadsheets for each practice area.
The Research Schedule shows the deadline for each submission.
• The online submissions site only allows a single submission document and a single spreadsheet of referees to be uploaded for each practice area. If having uploaded it is absolutely necessary to make an amendment, please send the revised document to [email protected] to inform our editorial assistants of the details of the revision.
• If you do not have a username and password for your set, please contact our Enquiries Team.
^ Return to Top