CEO: Jeff Modisett (Los Angeles, CA)
Number of lawyers: 30,000+
Number of member firms: 670
Nextlaw Referral Network (NRN) has taken industry conventional wisdom and turned it inside out. Rather than creating a network limited to the largest firms in the world and granting them exclusivity, NRN is the champion of the world’s highest quality small to medium sized firms. It doesn't charge fees or offer geographical monopolies. Its guiding principle is finding the best lawyer for a matter, in any region, practice and sector. It is the largest legal referral network in the world, with just under 700 members spanning 205 countries.
NRN deploys cutting-edge technology and has put into production:
• Member Profile Ratings, assisting members in improving firm profiles
• Encryption Keys Rotation
• Referral Recording and Recipient Tracking
• Easy-to-search and read Data Dashboard
• Nextlaw Community Platform, allowing in-platform messaging
NRN’s vision is to build the world's first strategic legal platform, defined as follows:
• Providing law firms with the world's first integrated, cross-functional solutions oriented offering. The law firm of the future will not solve legal problems, but business problems. It is a digitised, fully integrated platform that enables any member to tap into the power of hundreds of law firms as well as public affairs firms, lobbying firms and regulatory expertise.
• A technology and consulting services distribution channel and shared community. It curates the top legal tech companies and provides that technology to members at a discount, offering the same tech and process advantages the largest law firms capture to small to medium-sized law firms.
• Providing consulting expertise through the platform, in terms of innovation, improved processes and other ways members can compete more effectively against a changing competitive set that can now often include the Big 4 accountancy firms and others. This not only benefits members, but also provides programmes that member firms can offer their clients.
New initiatives in diversity, training and professional development:
• Added search functionality for women and minority owned firms.
• Conducted a recruiting outreach to minority firms via NAMWOLF - the National Assn. of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms - resulting in an additional ten minority members.
• Held numerous training sessions on the platform for all new members, including NAMWOLF firms, and regular applicants. Each member received a new Onboarding Guide and regular training updates.
Main Areas of Practice:
Aboriginal Law (Canada)
Banking and Finance
Civil Rights Law
Competition and Antitrust
Debtor and Creditor
Employment and Labor
Entertainment & Sports law
Franchising and Distribution
Hotels and Leisure
Inquests and Public Inquiries
Insurance Land expropriation by government (eminent domain)
Mergers and Acquisitions
Military Law and Veteran's Benefits
Native American Law and Policy (United States)
Pensions, Benefits and Executive Compensation
Privacy and Cybersecurity
Public International Law
Public Policy and Regulation
Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy
Securities and Corporate Finance
Tax Trade, WTO & Customs
Trusts, Estates and Wealth Preservation
UK POCA Work & Asset Forfeiture
US First Amendment Litigation
US Social Security Law and Disability
Venture Technology and Emerging Growth Companies
White Collar and Government
As of February 2019, Nextlaw Referral Network (NRN) has 670 member firms located in 272 jurisdictions around the world. While not segregated by region, NRN has members in almost every country in the world, except for U.S.-sanctioned countries, small Pacific island countries, and countries devastated by war. A listing of member firms, including the 635 cities in which NRN members have offices, can be found at www.nextlawnetwork.com.
Nextlaw Referral Network
c/o Jeff Modisett
601 S. Figueroa St.
Los Angeles, CA 90017
Tel: +1 213-623 9300
Fax: +1 213-623-9924
Nextlaw Referral Network
c/o Marie McDermott
15 Lauriston Place
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Tel: +44 33 0222 0050
Fax: +44 33 0222 0052