Provided by Goodmans LLP
Goodmans is Canada's leading law firm in REITs, income funds and other income securities. In recent years, REITs and income securities have been the most active, visible and dynamic sector of Canada's capital markets - and Goodmans has demonstrated its unique creativity, entrepreneurial flair and responsiveness in this area.
The firm's excellence in corporate finance, M&A and tax planning continues to be evident its REITs and income securities practice. Goodmans also provides clients with strategic business advice and creative solutions in this area.
Goodmans acted on the first REIT IPO in Canada and ever since has pioneered new structures in response to evolving client needs, market trends and regulatory challenges.
Among many other transactions, we played a key role in:
- developing the structure that enabled REITs to own operating businesses
- Canada's first mutually initiated REIT merger
- designing the model for external management and development arrangements
- creating Canada's first cross-border REIT
- Canada’s first cross-border income fund
- the largest IPO and the largest bought deal in Canada's income fund history
- the largest REIT take-overs in each of 2005 and in 2006
- Canada's first cross-border income securities IPO
- Canada's largest business trust conversion
- developing Canada's first high dividend common share structure for a cross-border IPO