• Practice handles domestic and international transactions, trusts and estates, and tax controversies
• Structure tax aspects of corporate and real estate transactions, in the middle market and $1 billion+
• Handle tax audit defense and tax litigation matters
• Practice is about 75 percent transactional, 25 percent litigation
• For private clients, we advise on tax consequences of matrimonial matters, and tax aspects of estate planning and charitable giving.
How do we stand out?
Maritime – we advise maritime-related companies on tax aspects of transactions. We work closely with Blank Rome’s shipping team, and with excellent in-house maritime experience, such as unparalleled knowledge of the Jones Act, the law that governs the U.S. shipping industry, we are hard to beat as legal advisor on these deals.
Real estate – our New York tax team is strong in the real estate sector, notably in advising on the tax aspects of real estate investment trusts (REITs). We have extensive experience representing private and publicly traded REITs in the tax aspects of mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, credit facilities, and financings.
Matrimonial – We are among the top matrimonial and family law practices in the country, dating back to the New York office legacy firm, Tenzer Greenblatt. Our tax lawyers do a lot of work advising on the tax aspects of separations of corporate and real estate assets, and how to divide assets in a tax-efficient way.