Managing Partner: Roman Bakhanets
Number of partners: 3
Number of lawyers: 9
Languages: English, French, Russian, Ukranian
BKHK law firm is a boutique firm of attorneys, which provides a range of legal and tax services for high net worth individuals in relation to personal and business assets, including the structuring of asset ownership, international tax planning, marriage and family relations, inheritance and succession planning, tax due diligence and reporting, and the formation of compliance cases. The history of the firm dates back to 2007, when Roman Bakhanets opened the practice of legal services for wealthy individuals, in the field of tax issues and judicial protection of personal property and non-property rights. The firm provided legal services to businessmen, public persons and "celebrities" on tax and legal matters. The year 2019 saw a serious expansion and strengthening of our practice with the accession of partners - Roman Khaminskiy and Lubov Kochenkova.
Structure of Private Client practice:
1. Compliance of big fortunes owners and their family assets.
1.1. Compliance of Russian and international transactions. Cross-border operations.
1.2. Sanctions compliance. Difficult cases.
2. Succession and inheritance planning. Ensuring the reliable transfer of business and private multijurisdictional assets to future generations. Setting up and maintaining family foundations, trusts, offshore companies and other suitable vehicles.
3. Asset structuring and international tax planning. Analysis of the application of international agreements / directives - DTT, MLI, DAC6; tax structuring and support of transactions in Russian and international field.
4. Tax due diligence of business companies and private structures. Identification of problem areas and formulation of recommendations for their elimination. Corporate restructuring using a foreign element.
5. Legal support of investments in Private Equity, Venture Capital - shareholder agreements, corporate agreements, option agreements, due diligence of assets. Structuring financial flows with the choice of the optimal tax burden.
6. Taxation of wealthy individuals and tax disputes.
7. Real estate transactions legal and tax support for the sale and purchase of Russian and foreign real estate; Due Diligence of transactions, ownership structures and participants.
8. Legal support of art investments, yachts, private jets.
Client’s funds have been “frozen” by American bank in the amount of several tens of millions of dollars due to the suspicion that the funds are subject to US sanctions imposed on the Russian Federation. In order to confirm the legality of the origin of the Client's funds, BKHK law firm formed a compliance file describing the professional biography and sources of income of the Client, the ownership structure of the Client's assets. The team held negotiations with representatives of a foreign bank. As a result, the lawyers defended the client's position and achieved a positive decision on the return of the entire amount of funds.
The beneficiary's family owns various assets totalling $ 20 million, including bank accounts, offshore companies, trusts that were located in different European, offshore and Asian jurisdictions. The problem was that not one of the assets was declared to the Russian tax authorities and the accumulated tax risks and peculiarities of Russian currency regulation could threaten up to the loss of an asset and the accrual of taxes and fines for previous periods. Assets were restructured, declared in the Russian Federation, as a result, the Client saved more than $ 2.5 million in taxes and eliminated the "historical" complex asset ownership scheme.
Most of our Clients have assets in various jurisdictions around the globe, from Hong Kong to New York, which gives the firm significant experience and expertise in structuring assets in various jurisdictions, including Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Hong Kong, Cyprus, USA, France, Great Britain, the Baltic countries, offshore jurisdictions, and many other countries.