Chairman & Senior Partner of WongPartnership LLP. Acts as counsel in complex banking, corporate, commercial and infrastructure disputes, in litigation and arbitration, and on occasion as arbitrator.
Alvin Yeo's LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alvinyeosc/
Alvin Yeo's Biography: https://www.wongpartnership.com/people/detail/alvin-yeo-senior-counsel
Appointed Senior Counsel, 2000; Admitted, 1987, England & Wales; 1988, Singapore; University of London (LL.B., Hons.); Gray’s Inn (Barrister-at-Law).
Member, SIAC Court; ICC Commission on Arbitration; Panel of Disciplinary Tribunal Chairmen of the Singapore Medical Council and the Supreme Court; Appeals Advisory Panel of Monetary Authority of Singapore; Governing Board of Centre for International Law at National University of Singapore; Fellow, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution; Singapore Institute of Arbitrators; Singapore Institute of Directors; Panel of Arbitrators, Asian International Arbitration Centre; Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre; International Centre for Dispute Resolution; Korean Commercial Arbitration Board; South China International Economic Trade Arbitration Commission.
- The Asia-Pacific Arbitration Review 2020 - Singapore Chapter
- The Investment Treaty Arbitration Review, 4th Edition
- Chambers Global Practice Guide - Anti-Corruption Singapore 2019
- Getting The Deal Through - Investment Treaty Arbitration 2019 - Singapore Chapter
- Global Arbitration Review: The Guide To Advocacy 2018 - 3rd Edition
- Bank Confidentiality – 5th Edition
Matters of significance in which Alvin has been involved in include the following:
- Successfully defended an ICSID claim brought against the Independent State of Papua New Guinea for expropriation of the shares in a mining company with more than $1.5 billion in assets – WongPartnership was the first Singapore law firm as sole counsel on record in an ICSID arbitration.
- Secured a ground-breaking victory for foreign investors against Laos PDR related to investment treaty claims valued at over US$800 million arising from the misappropriation of gaming investments; acting for investors against the Kingdom of Lesotho's application to set aside an investment treaty award finding the State liable for denial of justice.
- Acted for the Astro group of companies in an international arbitration concerning a proposed joint venture for satellite pay television services in Indonesia which also involves multiple proceedings in other jurisdictions with claims totalling over US$1.75 billion.
- Acted for the former Bayerische Hypo-und Vereinsbank in legal proceedings against Asia Pacific Breweries in relation to the largest corporate fraud in Singapore.
- Acted for Société Générale in defending a claim brought by Jurong Shipyard for US$200 million which represented the largest derivatives claim in Singapore.
- Acting for a major German bank in defending a claim for US260 million which represents the largest private banking claim in Singapore.
Ranked since 2010 in Chambers - Dispute Resolution: Arbitration (Singapore)
Ranked since 2010 in Chambers - Dispute Resolution: Litigation (Singapore)