Managing Partners: Mingruo ZHANG
Number of Partners:12
Number of Lawyers: 64
Sunland Law Firm is a full-service law firm specializing in the practice of capital markets, intellectual property, international trade and competition, and corporate affairs. Working on a team basis, the firm makes the best use of the experience and expertise of its lawyers and provide comprehensive personalized legal services according to the clients’ requirements. Sunland International Trade and Competition team (the former is Broad & Bright antitrust team) is one of the leading legal teams in antitrust practice in China.
MAIN AREAS OF PRACTICE
Antitrust and Competition
4 partners; 15 fee earners based in Beijing, Tianjin and Hong Kong.
Since August 1, 2008, MOFCOM/SAMR has cleared over 2,900 filings to date, out of which Sunland International Trade and Competition team has represented hundreds of fillings, many of which are high profile or significant cases. Sunland International Trade and Competition team is one of the domestic legal teams that have handled most cases in China.
In MOFCOM/SAMR’s 44 conditional approvals so far, Sunland International Trade and Competition team handled over one third of the cases, including China’s first conditional approval of Inbev’s acquisition of Amnheuser-Busch.
Representative cases handled by Sunland International Trade and Competition team:
- In 2009, Sunland International Trade and Competition team represented Coca-cola in its acquisition of Huiyuan case, which is one of the most complicated filings in China and involved political concerns.
- In 2015, Sunland International Trade and Competition team assisted Seagate in successfully obtaining approval by MOFCOM to lift its 'hold separate' restriction, which is the first case where the “hold separate” conditions were completely released.
- Also in 2015, Sunland International Trade and Competition team represented NXP in its acquisition of Freescale, which is the first conditional approval of MOFCOM where the “upfront buyer” situation was involved in the divestment remedy.
- In 2017, Sunland International Trade and Competition team represented five of the seven cases that were conditionally approved by MOFCOM.
- In 2018, after the institutional reform in china, the first conditional clearance by SAMR was also represented by Sunland International Trade and Competition team.
- In 2018, Sunland International Trade and Competition team represented United Technologies in the United Technologies/Rockwell Collins case. This case was awarded 'Merger Control Matter of the Year – Asia-Pacific, Middle East and Africa' at the GCR 9th Annual Awards Ceremony on March 26th, 2019, andis the second time that Sunland International Trade and Competition team has won this important award since the team’s work on Seagate/Samsung in 2011.
- Most recently, Sunland International Trade and Competition team represented Aleris Corporation in the Novelis/Aleris case, which received its conditional approval on December 20, 2019.
Sunland International Trade and Competition team has also successfully assisted clients in obtaining unconditional clearance in many high profile and complicated filings in China, including the first hostile takeover filing in China.
Sunland International Trade and Competition team has also advised many clients on various antitrust investigations, including representing clients in price-related investigations initiated by National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) and non-price related investigations led by the State Administration of Industry and Commerce (SAIC) before the institutional reform. After the institutional reform, such investigations have been uniformly transferred to SAMR. Sunland International Trade and Competition team is currently participating in several investigations conducted by SAMR and its local counterparts.
In addition, Sunland International Trade and Competition team has extensive experience in advising international companies in compliance with the AML Sunland International Trade and Competition Team has assisted clients in conducting in-depth internal antitrust audits in view of monopolistic conduct and has also provided periodic review/assessment of the daily operations of clients. These particularly include legal advice or audit services in relation to vertical agreements/conduct such as exclusive/non-exclusive distribution agreements, resale price maintenance, etc.
Key Clients: Most of our clients are multinational companies in various industries including chemical, machinery, electronic, medical, food, drink, automobile, information technology, such as Coca-Cola, HP, Tecent and United Technologies.
Contact Name: Yao FENG/Yunfeng XING/Shipo XIE/Xi Xia
Tel: +86 10 65958667
E-mail: [email protected] 4.
Most of the aforementioned work of Sunland International Trade and Competition team involve foreign companies.
Beijing World Trade Center Office: Room 603, China World Trade Center West Wing Office, No. 1 Jian Wai Avenue, Chaoyang, Beijing, 100004, China
Tel:+86 10 65958667
Beijing Silver Tower Office: 31/F Beijing Sliver Tower,No.2 Dong San Huan North Road,Chaoyang District,Beijing,100027,China
Tel:+86 10 64609388
Tianjin Office: Room 1102, Building C02S Startup Headquarter Base, North of Fuyuan Road, Wuqing Development Area,Tianjin.