Managing Partners: André de Luizi Correia, Rodrigo Ribeiro Fleury, Luis Antonio da Gama e Silva Neto
Number of partners: 4
Number of associates: 9
Firm Overview: CFGS is a dispute resolution boutique specialized in strategic litigation, mediation, and arbitration. The firm provides litigation strategy, preparation and settlement advice and conducts judicial, administrative or arbitration proceedings. The team has extensive experience in handling complex cases involving stockholder disputes, infrastructure and construction contracts, financial services and the power, telecommunications, and oil and gas industries. The firm represents a broad client base which includes some of Brazil´s major banks and construction companies, large retailers, well-known real estate developers, some of the world’s largest private equity firms and international investors from the US, Europe and the Middle East. The team has fluent Portuguese and English speakers and lawyers both at the partner and associate levels who have worked at some of the leading Brazilian firms.
Main Areas of Practice:
The arbitration team, led by André de Luizi Correia, boasts vast experience in arbitration proceedings. The firm´s current arbitration portfolio includes cases involving several billion reais across a range of industries, especially civil construction and infrastructure, finance, retail, oil and gas and real estate.
CFGS is currently representing Brazilian and International companies in various arbitration proceedings in Brazil, including:
- One the South America´s major retailers in a R$ 2 billion dispute (ICC Arbitration) resulting from the sale of control of an affiliate company
- Some of Brazil’s major infrastructure groups in a high-profile R$1.4 billion dispute (ICC Arbitration) resulting from the construction contract of one of the biggest hydro-electric power plants of the world
- One of Brazil’s biggest construction companies in a complex R$450 million dispute (ICC Arbitration) against a major oil and gas company, relating to an alliance contract for construction of chemical facilities
- A global investment firm in a R$400 million dispute (CCBC Arbitration) arising out of a M&A contract in dairy sector
- A leading global oil and gas services and solutions provider, in a USD 100 million dispute (ICC Arbitration) involving an EPC Contract for implementation of an onshore/offshore gas supply system
- A leading Brazilian glassware manufacturer in a dispute (CAM-CCBC Arbitration) arising out of a contract for purchase of oxygen entered with a major international supplier
- Brazil’s largest retail and distribution group in a R$300 million dispute (CCBC Arbitration) arising out of several lease agreements and contracts related to the company’s use and commercial exploitation of some real estates
- A Brazilian real estate group in a R$200 million dispute (CCBC Arbitration) against a construction company, regarding the construction of a luxury hotel in Sao PauloSome of Brazil’s biggest infrastructure companies in two disputes (CCBC Arbitration) against road concessionaires, arising out of EPC Contracts for the construction of highways in the northeast region
- One of Brazil's biggest construction companies in a complex R$ 50 million dispute arising out of the early termination of an EPC Contract
- A leading global private equity group in a dispute related to a Shareholders Agreement and bylaws of a regional hospital in Brazil
Partners: André de Luizi Correia, Leticia Barbosa e Silva Abdalla
Associates: Renata Lorenzi Iório, Mariana de Vasconcellos Tavares Nacif, Julia Ascoli Gomes Ferreira
Key Clients: GPA (Companhia Brasileira de Distribuição); Grupo Odebrecht; Grupo Andrade Gutierrez; GP Investments; Banco BTG Pactual; HIG Capital; Sapura Energy.
CFGS has extensive experience in successfully handling complex business disputes in federal and state courts. It has handled a wide range of cases, including construction contracts, telecom services, oil and gas exploitation, gas distribution, energy generation and distribution, corporate acquisitions, financial services, swap agreements, product liability, shareholder disputes, insolvency litigation (representing creditors and bondholders), insurance and reinsurance, and bank credit facilities. Even though lawyers have a solid background in handling high-stake cases. CFGS also represents clients on medium-sized and smaller-scale complex cases.
Current high-profile representations for Brazilian corporations and financial institutions include:
- Various foreclosure and enforcement proceedings filed on behalf of Banco Itaú-Unibanco against multiple debtors, seeking to collect more than R$ 300 million
- A R$ 300 million action for damages filed by a big construction company against Petrobras
- A R$ 250 million action filed by one of Brazil´s major construction companies against the City of Rio de Janeiro, seeking damages and payment for additional services relating to the implementation of a R$ 1,3 billion bus rapid transit project
- Real estate disputes and strategic cases involving Brookfiled Incorporações
- Several disputes related to concession agreements for basic sanitation services involving BRK Ambiental Group
Partners: Rodrigo Ribeiro Fleury, Luis Antônio da Gama e Silva Neto, André de Luizi Correia.
Associates: Luciana Ferreira da Gama e Silva, Giovanna Schliemann.
Key Clients: Banco Safra S.A., Banco Itaú-Unibanco S.A., Deutsche Bank S.A – Banco Alemão, Construtora Barbosa Mello S.A., Odebrecht Energia do Brasil S.A., Companhia de Gas de Sao Paulo – Comgás, Brookfield Incorporações S.A., BHG S.A. – Brazil Hospitality Group, Banco Sistema S.A. (controlled by BTG Pactual), Even Construtora e Incorporadora S.A., BRK Ambiental, GPA (Companhia Brasileira de Distribuição), Andrade Gutierrez Engenharia S.A.